Friday, April 27, 2012

TITANIC SINKING ANNIVERSARY 1912/2012

It would be hard for anybody today ,whatever their age, to be unaware of the tragic sinking on her maiden voyage ,in the North Atlantic,of the giant ocean liner "SS Titanic" with the terrible loss of life of over 1500 souls .
Whilst I cannot bring myself to watch the movie I have learnt a certain amount from the many publications,notably the various books by Robert Ballard who located , filmed and photographed the wreck at great depths.
What particularly caught my imagination was the heroic story of the 8 piece 'orchestra' who continued playing mainly 'rag time' throughout  the tragedy whilst others tried to find their way to safety.They all perished including their leader Wallace Hartley.I have for some time , as an amateur genealogist, been compiling an extensive family tree of my wife's family ,who are Hartley's, who originate from the Yorks/Lancs area of northern England.I discovered that Wallace who was born Walter Henry Hartley in Colne, Lancs was probably a second/third cousin of my wife's family dating back to the family in Chorlton just South of Manchester.There is in fact a museum dedicated to Wallace and his orchestra members in Liverpool.When Wallace's body was found some 200 miles away from the wreckage area he was still wearing his bandsman's uniform and a thick overcoat etc.Very brave and very sad !His body was returned to Colne and there is a monument on his grave site,complete with a violin his instrument.

Should any one like any asistance with finding books on this tragedy please do not hesitate to contact me on colnic@telkomsa.net.
Similarly if any Hartley's would like any information regarding the "family" I can be contacted as above

No comments: