Friday, April 27, 2012

WILBUR SMITH SMITH AGAIN !

Just a few further words about the great man ! Now 79 years old and living in his London  home with his lovely fourth  wife.The old "Lion of Africa" apparently only writes a book about every 3 years,can't blame him for that.Seems he has moved further and further away from his African roots !
His books remain collectable, particularly the earlier Heinemann publications,mostly written with the assistance of his late wife, Danielle Thomas,and if you can find signed copies of these hang on to them.They are rarer and rarer.
I recently had occasion to write to Wilbur about a series of signed copies,supplying him with photographs, dating back to the 1970's ,just to verify their authenticity as a certain Welsh "gentleman" who boasts of a close friendship with the author, attempted firstly to buy them and then, when unsuccessful, cast aspersion that they were forgeries.Whilst he has not yet replied I have no doubt that he has already, knowing the straight forward guy that he is reputed to be,clarified the authencity to the Welsh "gentleman" concerned.
If you require any information or availability regarding Wilbur Smith first editions and /or signed copies drop me an e on 'colnic@telkomsa.net'.  Be glad to assist.

2 comments:

Mark Faith said...

Firstly, I am not Welsh, but I do reside in Wales. I do have what I would call a professional relation with Mr. Smith. I sell him books and when I deliver in person he signs many additional copies for me, including only for me, line-signed. I do not have a personal relationship, but I believe he supports my selling his books for the sake of his fans. The books you refer to were not offered by you to me, but from someone else. I had asked them for photographs in which he only sent picture of 4. As an expert in his signature styles, I concluded 2 were real, and 2 were fakes. The were other oddities as well which I will get to.This man, who claimed to be a SA police officer suddenly decided they were not for sale. It appears you still have them and he backed out? Wise man! Initially I approached you about them, but you refused to sell them to me. I have experienced inconsistent behaviour from you before were twice you have "changed your mind"? What reason would someone have for not selling signed books to a recognized dealer of signed books? I advise all my customers, once a book or set acquires a doubt providence, they are all but worthless, even if real. Unless Mr. Smith publically identifies these books as genuine, I would not touch them. However the inescapable oddity, if they were truly signed to a mother-in-law, why sign them with the formality of the surname Smith? All real association copies I have ever dealt in are signed just Wilbur, from Wilbur or with love, Wilbur. I would advise everyone to avoid these books and this dealer, good day. Mark Faith, Festival Art and Books.

Mark Faith said...

To clarify, the two copies had real signatures, but the inscription looked wrong. What I think has happened is some added fake inscription above a real signature. Again, he would not sign with his surname if it was a close association. A pretty glaring mistake!